High Fructose Corn Syrup

Researchers at Princeton University have found that rats fed high fructose corn syrup gain significantly more weight than rats fed table sugar. They also gain weight around the middle and develop the known risk factors for high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, cancer and diabetes.

Often in this kind of research the poor rats are stuffed with vast quantities of the product under investigation. However in this case, the concentration of HFCS was HALF that in typical fizzy drinks.

See http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

Manufacturers have long said that HFCS is basically the same as table sugar. However, it does have some differences. Both are made up of glucose and fructose, but in HFCS there is a slightly higher proportion of fructose, and the fructose is more readily available to the body.

Which brings us to the next question – is fructose the problem? Fructose often gets a good press compared to glucose because it has a relatively low GI and less effect on insulin response. Plus, it’s found in fruit so surely must be healthy?

Recent research suggests that fructose (originating mainly from table sugar and HFCS) can cause insulin resistance and obesity. This book explains the research:

Link to “Fat Chance” by Robert Lustig

Although fuctose occurs naturally in fruit, we would only have consumed small quantities of this in the past and it would have made sense to fatten up for the long winter period when little food was available. However, now we consume fructose in huge quantities all year round and I haven’t noticed any winter famines recently round here.

HFCS is in virtually all processed foods, including many “diet” and “low fat” products. You may know my opinion about these. I suspect future generations will be absolutely horrified at the way the food companies have got away with pushing “low fat” products as “healthy” – when in reality they are often full of sugar, HFCS and artificial sweeteners and are causing huge problems. I wonder how many deaths have been caused by the government’s wrong advice to cut down fat, when they should have been advising us to cut down sugar and HFCS? Cartoon - low fat diet gave you heart disease

The good news is that if fructose is the cuplrit, starches are not – because they break down to glucose rather then fructose. So, bread, pasta, rice, etc would be OK.

And natural fats are fine of course! So, why not go and enjoy a nice piece of butttered toast? (Check your bread for HFCS though! I bought a bread maker…)

(By the way, if you’re still not convinced about fats, have a look at this article which appeared in Scientific American recently: Article on carbs

Showing 1-10 of 13 comments

Lynda Robson

Thank you for a very informative site.
05/11/2010 05:51 PM
Roz

Thanks Lynda, I’m really glad you find it interesting,
Roz
05/12/2010 08:10 AM
in reply to Lynda Robson
Maria Laben

Hi Roz many thanks for the info – will pass this onto other people
05/10/2010 01:26 PM
Roz

Thanks Maria, I appreciate you passing it on.
Roz
05/10/2010 09:30 PM
in reply to Maria Laben
Lidia Becci

Thanks Roz for the info. I no longer bother with low fat option although reading the labels is interestig! I also heard on radio that 5 pieces of fruit and veg a day isnt really making much difference to helping prevent cancer. I since starting your programme lost 5inches off my waist and nearly 2 stones in weight and I know I am not going to gain the weight again so thankyou Roz. I am enjoying my butter again on toast. People ask me how I am doing it and I tell them but they still beleive in dieting and low fat. I used to teach health promotion and after years in nursing and teaching it is extremely difficult to change people thinking.
05/09/2010 11:02 AM
Roz

Hi Lidia, thank you for commenting. I’m delighted to hear about your progress – that is really wonderful – well done!

It’s such a shame people find it so hard to abandon the low fat approach even though it doesn’t work. You are right that it is very hard to change people’s thinking. Thanks for doing your best to spread the word though!

Roz
05/09/2010 12:01 PM
in reply to Lidia Becci
seekerphil

Thanks for the helpful comments. I avoid fizzy drinks and diet food and since doing your enlighten programme have no problem with knowing when I am hungry and full. Sounds simple doesn’t it but such a simple reflex (if that is the right word) had become very blurred from years of dieting. I am getting there and eating like a ‘normal’ person and enjoying it. I am losing an average of a pound a week. It took 25 years to gain the weight and I another 12 months of not dieting should see it all off. Thanks for all your help.
05/09/2010 09:41 AM
Roz

Thank you so much for commenting. I’m really glad you are doing well and losing weight eating “normally” and not dieting. That is fantastic!
05/09/2010 11:57 AM
in reply to seekerphil
katherinehawkins

Hi Roz,
well done for finding out yet more about what food companies are trying to hide, and about what the Governbment won’t admit, namely that sugar is dangerous, not fat, and as it seems, fructose is worse than glucose. The government say we should eat lots of fruit and low fat. Their advice very nearly made me diabetic, which I would be now, hadn’t it been for Roz’s wonderful advice in her course!
Well done Roz, and keep up the good work!
Regards, Katherine
05/08/2010 11:33 PM
Roz Collapse

Thank you Katherine, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and hopefully it will help others avoid that dangerous low fat, high sugar diet.